Lentil Ragu With Tagliatelle
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 27th of January 2022
Puy lentils are from France. The lentils I am using are a dark green colour and have a lot of body to them. I got the recipe from Áine Carlin at Balance Live Well and decided to try it out. I made a few alterations to fit my needs, such as replacing the red wine with red wine vinegar. I also like to add vitamin C in my food, so I replaced the stick of celery with red bell pepper. This recipe resulted in an excellent meal that was bursting with flavours!
Time, 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 60g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaped teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 a cup Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 50ml vegan red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato purée
- 200g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable stock
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 100ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- Boil the lentils in some water for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Add the oil to a suitable sized saucepan.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and sweet for about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the mushroom and bell pepper and cook for another 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and lentils. Turn up the heat to reduce the liquid a little.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, stock, salt, pepper and add the bay leaf.
- Let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Serve with tagliatelle pasta.
Wonderful strong flavours. I added a blob of lime cashew cream to the top, which went perfectly with it.