Yellow Split Pea Dhal
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 6th of September 2021
Dhal means split pulses usually lentils, which can be used in this curry, but then it wouldn't be yellow split pea Dhal! Instead of using coconut milk, I used cashew cream, which keeps the creaminess but changes the texture.
- Yellow split peas 1/3 cup
- Cannellini beans (optional) 1/3 cup
- Cashew cream (how to make cashew cream)
- Chopped tomatoes 100g
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Onion 1/2
- Mushrooms x 4-6 medium
- Cabbage x 60g
- Bell pepper x 40g
- Curry powder x 1 tsp
- Gram masala x 1 tsp
- Goan spice x 1/4 tsp
- Brown sugar x 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the beans. If you have dried beans, they will need to be soaked overnight and boiled for 15 minutes the next day.
- Fry the mushrooms, onions and garlic in a frying pan.
- Add the spices and stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cashew cream and little water if needed.
- Add the sugar.
- Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes.
Very creamy curry with a mild heat to the spice. Fantastic texture and not to sweet. I was genuinely surprised at how good this curry turned out; i was not expecting it to be this good.
I hope you decide to give this a try. If you do, please let me know what you thought in the comments or on twitter. Please like, share with your friends and subscribe.
Post a Comment