Vegan Meat Pie
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 9th of October 2023
Although there are many great vegan meat pies on the market, I miss the homemade variety. Since making a pie is so easy if you are willing to cheat, I thought I would put this simple but tasty pie together. It has a puff pastry crust with a vegan meat and gravy filling.
- I used puff pastry from a shop. Greenvale Puff Pastry.
- For the meat I used Plant Chef Meat Free Chunks
Make 1 pie
Time – 40 minutes
- Vegan mock meat chunks or tofu x 3 -4 pieces about 1 cm cubed
- Leek x 30 g
- Peas x 30 g
- Onion 20 g
- Gravy x 100 ml
- Balsamic vinegar x 1 tbsp
- White pepper x 1/8 tsp
- Puff pastry x 80 – 90 g. It must be enough to cover the pie dish.
- Pie dish about 13 cm x 17 cm
- Chop the onion, mushroom and slice the leek. Keep the pieces small and add to a saucepan with the mock meat chunks.
- Make the gravy. Add the gravy, white pepper and balsamic vinegar to the saucepan and heat gentility for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Add to the pie dish (add some extra veg if it looks half full) and rub some vegan butter around the rim of the pie dish then cover with the puff pastry. With a folk, press the edges of the pie down and poke some steam holes in the top.
- Brush the pie crust with some vegan milk to help it brown.
- In a preheated oven at 180 C, bake in the middle of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve with potatoes and your favourite vegetables.
|Stew for about 20 minutes.|
|Add extra mushroom and peas if needed.|
|Add steam holes to the top of pie.|
I had this with mash potato, kale, and carrots. The pie filling had a strong flavour with a hint of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar. The pastry was light and flaky.