English Apple Cake
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 2nd of October 2023
What better way to celebrate a festival or just the weekend than with a slice of English apple cake? This cake is flatter than most cakes, but is spread out more in a larger baking tin. You can cut it into squares or into fingers. Notably, it is very easy to make and so tasty!
- Use scales to weigh out the oil and water because jug measurements can be way out.
- You can use, as extra, some bicarbonate of soda for extra lift; however, if you do, add a spoonful of vinegar either white or cider or white wine vinegar. The acidity reacts with the bicarbonate of soda.
Servers, 12 – 14
Time, 50 minutes for cake and 30 minutes to make the filling.
Ingredients for cake mix
- 100ml vegetable oil, or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 170ml tepid water
- 280g self-raising flour
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Ingredients for apple sauce
- Apples x 2 largish cooking apples (about 450 g)
- Brown sugar x 6 tsp
- Cinnamon x 2 tsp
- Clove x 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice x 1/2 a lemon
- Water x 1/2 cup
- 30 cm x 20 cm rectangular cake tin
- Medium sized saucepan
- Large mixing bowl
- Balloon whisk
Step 1 – make the apple sauce
- Peel and cut the apples into thick slices and add them to a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, clove, cinnamon, and water to the pot.
- Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. You don't want a smooth paste; try to keep it a little chunky.
- Take off the heat and put aside until needed.
Step 2 – make the cake mix then add the apple sauce to the top.
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan or 180C.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix with a balloon whisk.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a jug and poor in to the mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Don't over mix or it will become too hard; just mix it rather than beating it.
- Grease the tin with vegan butter.
- Poor the batter evenly into the rectangular cake tin.
- Spoon the apple sauce onto the top of the cake mix.
- Bake on the lower middle shelf of the oven for 25–30 minutes at 160C fan assisted.
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes after removing from the oven. This will make it easier to remove from the tin because it will shrink a little.
- Carefully remove from the tin onto a cooling rack. I use a large Spatula or flipper to help it out of the tin. Please note, this is very tricky and it is easy to break your cake.
|Cake mix ready for the apple sauce to go on top.|
Really nice tasting cake with the flavour of apple coming through in every bite. In addition, it had a beautiful moist texture. Was very easy to cut into fingers and everyone enjoyed it.