If you like pizza, this is a must try! Calzone is basically a small folded pizza baked in the oven that resembles a Cornish pasty in looks. However, unlike a Cornish pasty, it has a pizza filling such as pepperoni. You can choose what ever filling you like, but I will be using the Catholic vegan pepperoni filling. While a New Yorker filling has just cheese and pepperoni, a Catholic vegan pepperoni filling has cheese, pepperoni, mushroom, onion and green pepper. Although you can choose any filling, this one is one of my favourites.
- If you stack the filling too high, folding the top over becomes difficult.
- Be sure to keep the filling to one side of the dough, or again you will have trouble folding it over.
Portions - 1
Time - 45 minutes
- 42g all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 46 ml lukewarm water
- 0.25 tsp sugar
- 0.25 tsp backing powder
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5 tsp olive oil
- 34g whole wheat flour
- Tomato sauce (tomatoes, tomato purée, crushed garlic, and basil) x 2 tbsps
- Onion x a few slices
- Mushroom x a few slices
- Green peppers x a few slices
- Vegan pepperoni x 4 or 5 slices
- Vegan cheese grated x about 20g
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Add all the dry dough ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with a balloon whisk.
- Stir in the water and oil with a wooden spoon. Bear in mind you might now need all the water.
- Mix until you get a shaggy dough.
- Use your hands to form a ball, then knead on a floured surface for about 1 minute.
- Place back into the mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough to about 3 mm thick circle.
Step two - cover half with filling.
- Add tomato sauce, then add additional fillings.
- Once the calzone is filled, carefully pick up the top half and fold it over the toppings, bringing the edges together.
- Fold the dough edges together, at the edges.
- You may find it easier to assemble your vegan calzone directly on a baking sheet. However, if you do have trouble moving a calzone to a baking sheet, I found using a big dough scraper made it easy.
|Add the tomato sauce. |
|Add the vegan cheese|
|Add the filling|
|Fold over and fold edges to make a crust.|
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through
- Once baked, take out of the oven and allow it to cool for at least 3 minutes before cutting into because it is going to be hot inside.
This turns out really well and makes a fantastic dinner that is filling. Full of taste; lots of fun.
I hope that you liked this blog and if you do try this recipe, please
let me know how you got on and what it turned out like. You can leave a
comment in the comments below.
Want to try this. When I get my grocery money on the 10th of November I will order ingredience to make this.ReplyDelete
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.Delete