Written by McDonald, T. | Date 19th of September 2022
Rosh Hashanah is a Jewish festival for new year starting on the 25th this year, which is this Sunday. However, whatever year it is or even if you are just looking for something different, let me introduce you to this traditional Jewish dish. This dish can be thin or deep pan, but is always crispy around the edges. Although the original recipe uses egg, we can make it vegan by using flaxseed as the egg replacement. You, can, of course, use something like cracked or just egg, but the flaxseed is fine to use if that is all you have.
- You don't have to use sweet potato.
- Courgette/zucchini is another option, but worth it.
- Any flour will do.
- The size of the baking dish can vary depending on whether you want deep pan Kugel or something more thin.
Time – 30 minutes to prepare + 40 -45 minutes to bake.
- White potato x 2 medium-sized
- Sweet potato x 0.5 medium-sized
- Courgette/zucchini x 0.5 medium-sized
- Onion x 1 medium-sized
- Paprika x 1 tsp
- Flax egg (for the egg replacement)
- 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp of water
- Wholemeal flour x 3 or 4 tbsp
- White pepper x 0.25 tsp
- Salt x 1 tsp
- Olive oil x 2 tbsps for the mix and enough to coat the baking dish
- Baking dish 19 cm square
- Wooden spoon
|Mechanical grater makes for easier work.|
I know this greater is not plastic free, but I did get it in a charity shop. You can, however, use a regular grater or even a food processor with the grating attachment.
- Make the flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 – 4 tablespoons of water. Mix together and leave in the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Spiralize the zucchini and sweet potato. You don't need very big noodles, so cut any long noodles up with a knife.
- Shred the white potato and the onion using the cheese grater.
- Pack into a sieve and squeeze out as much moister as possible.
- Tip into a bowl and add the salt, white pepper, paprika and wholemeal flour. Also add the sweet potato, courgette and the olive oil. Mix together thoroughly with the flaxseed egg mix.
- Leave to rest for about 5 minutes and then pack into the baking dish.
- Place in an oven preheated to 200C and roast for 40 minutes.
|Grated potato in a sieve |
|Kugel before roasting|
Beautiful and crispy and since it is New Year, why not have it with some apple sauce? I really love this dish.