Vegan Pulled Pork In Pitta Bread
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 30th of May 2022
This is as close to a kebab as I can get. The vegan pulled pork is pretty good and the whole thing is tasty and filling. Pork used to be a favourite of mine years ago, so this recipe was something I was glade to come up with. I had heard of jackfruit being used as pulled pork before, but I have not seen a recipe for it. I had home-made chips and home-made pitta bread with it.
Time 40 minutes
- Jackfruit x 200g (1/2 a can)
- Onion x 1/2 a medium
- Peas x 1/4 cup
- Sweetcorn x 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dark soy sauce
- Paprika x 1/2 tsp
- Coriander x 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder x 1/2 tsp
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- White pepper to taste
- Dry out the jackfruit with some paper towel.
- Break up the jackfruit, so it looks more like pulled pork.
- Fry the jackfruit in a little oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and the spices.
- Add the onion, mushroom, peas and sweetcorn.
- Keep stirring. Without burning the jackfruit, dry it out in the fraying pan.
- When ready, stuff the pitta bread with the mixture and salad.
This is a fantastic dinner. I was very surprised at how good it turned out. The jackfruit did have the constancy of pulled pork, but didn't exactly taste like it. However, it was very good in taste. I had the dish with home-made chips.