Original Vegan Lasagna
Written by McDonald, T. | Updated 22nd of March 2022
There are two different types of vegan lasagna: one with lentils and one with chunky vegetables. This recipe is for the one with lentils. If you liked the meat lasagna, this might be that substitute you have been dreaming of finding.
- You can make your own or buy pasta sheets.
- Dry pasta is vegan whereas fresh pasta from a shop is not.
- Making your own tomato sauce is easy, but you can use tinned tomatoes if you want.
- I used Applewood block cheese and grated it.
- I used a vegan white sauce for lasagna that i got from a supermarket, but you can make your own if you want.
- Dry or home-made pasta sheets
- Mushrooms x 6
- Lentils x 100g
- Vegan white sauce for lasagne x enough to cover the top
- Vegan cheese x 50g
For tomato sauce
- Tomatoes x 4
- Basil x a few sprigs
- Garlic x 4 cloves crushed
- White wine vinegar
- Brown sugar x 1 tsp (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Lasagna dish
Assuming you are using dry pasta.
Step 1 - preparation
- If your pasta is dry, now is the time to soak it. Soak in water for about 20 - 30 minutes or until soft.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Chop the mushroom.
- Crush the garlic.
Step 2 - make the tomato and lentil sauce
- Make the tomato sauce by blending the tomatoes with the basil. Add some brown sugar and salt if needed.
- Heat the tomato sauce you just made in a large saucepan and add the lentils, onion and mushroom.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Heat until it starts to bubble. Leave to reduce to a think sauce.
- Add a layer of the tomato and lentil sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Top with a little white sauce.
- Add the pasta.
- Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 as many times as you like.
- Add white sauce to the top layer of lasagna and top with the vegan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before cutting and serving.
Amazing! Although this does take some effort, it is very comforting on a cold day. It has a beautiful rich tomato sauce with firm but succulent vegetable pieces. This dish will keep in the fridge for a day or two. I have never, however, left it any longer than two day. Enjoy!
I hope you decide to give this a try. If you do, please let me know what you thought in the comments below. Please like, share with your friends and subscribe.