Written by McDonald, T. | Date 21st of January 2022
Moussaka has been dubbed a Greek Lagrange because it has layers topped with Béchamel sauce. In this vegan instance, the layers consist of aubergine and lentils and is topped with mash potato with Béchamel sauce. Of course, the whole thing is topped with vegan cheese.
When to serve this dish
This is a special dish that takes a bit of effort, so I would keep it for that special occasion, such as a dinner party or festival. However, if you are feeling up to it, why not give the family a treat!
Notes, tips and tricks
- Nooch is nutritional yeast with B12.
- The sweet potato provides the vitamin A, so if you use all white potato, add so carrot.
- You can make your own white sauce or use a store bought one.
- I used tinned lentils, but you don't have to.
- Add some spinach to the mash for extra nutrition.
Time 40 mins
- Aubergine (sliced about 0.5 cm think)
- Sweet potato (some thinly sliced and some for the mash)
- White potato
For the marinade
- Soya sauce x 3 tsp
- Salt x a pinch
- Paprika x 1/2 tsp
For tomato sauce
- Tomatoes x 2 medium or 150g of tinned
- Onion x 1/2
- Mushroom x 4 medium
- Lentils x 130g
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Brown sugar (Only if the tomatoes need it) x 1 tsp
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh sage
- Lasagne dish
- Frying pan
Step 1 - marinade the aubergine
- Cut the aubergine into long slices.
- Place in a dish with the marinade, sprinkle the paprika and leave for about 20 minutes in the fridge.
Step 2 - make the tomato and lentil sauce
- Blend the tomatoes, garlic and fresh sage in a blender. Use the
pulse setting to keep the tomatoes from puréeing. You don't want a smooth paste.
- Dice the onion and mushroom into small pieces and add to the sauce.
- Add the lentils to the sauce.
- Add the salt and pepper.
Step 3 - make the mash
- Boil the potato, drain and mash.
- Add the nooch.
- Add some garlic
- While the potatoes are boiling, lightly fry thin slices of aubergine and some thin slices of sweet potato in some oil.
- Place the sweet potato slices on the bottom of the dish and the aubergine on top of the potato.
- Add a layer of sauce.
- Add another layer of aubergine.
- You can add as many layers as you like, as long as you finish with a layer of aubergine and top
with the mashed potato. In turn, top that with some white sauce and some vegan cheese and tomato on the very top.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 1 minute before serving.
- Garnish and serve with salad.
|Aubergine and sweet potato frying in a pan|
|The mash potato layer|
|Topped with white sauce a grated vegan cheese|
This was lovely. The layers are amazing and the topping has a really creamy texture.
I really hope that you try this dish, so if you do, please let me know how you got on and what you thought. Please like, share and subscribe.