Written by McDonald, T. | Date 26th of January 2022
If you never heard of parmigiana, it is a bit like an Italian Moussaka. It has layers of aubergine, mushrooms and onion and topped with a tomato sauce and cheese. The name parmigiana suggests using Parmesan cheese, but since we are vegan, any vegan cheese will be fine. This is a lovely dish for winter or autumn that is not heavy at all, so it goes great with potatoes.
Tips And Tricks
- Don't make the sauce too runny. The viscosity of the sauce is all important here.
- If you don't have access to vegan Parmesan, any vegan cheese will do.
Time: 40 mins
- Vegan Parmesan for topping
- Fresh basil
- Onion x 1/2
- Mushroom x 4 medium
For tomato sauce
- Tomatoes x 2 medium or 150g of tinned
- Butternut Squash
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Lime x 1/2
- Brown sugar (Only if the tomatoes need it) x 1 tsp
- Black pepper to taste
For the marinade
- Cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar x 3 tbsp
- Salt x a pinch
- Paprika x 1/2 tsp
- Baking dish
- Frying pan
- Lasagne dish
Step one - marinade the aubergine
- Cut the aubergine into long slices.
- Place in a dish with the marinade and leave for about 20 minutes in the fridge.
Step two - make the sauce
- Blend all the tomato, butternut squash, brown sugar, spinach, and nooch with some fresh basil in a blender using the
pulse setting. You don't want a smooth paste; chunky/grainy is good. Leave until needed.
- Dice the onion into small pieces and slice the mushrooms.
Step three - fry and bake
- Lightly fry the aubergine in some oil and place back in the dish.
- Fry the mushrooms and onion with salt and pepper.
- Add the fried onion and mushroom on top of the aubergine.
- Spread the chunky sauce over the aubergine. Top with the vegan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and serve with either chips or new potatoes with vegetables.
|Fried aubergine placed back in dish.|
|Mushroom and onion fried and ready to top the aubergine.|
|Layer of tomato and butternut squash sauce.|
|Top with vegan cheese.|
This tastes great and holds together beautifully.
I really hope that you try this dish, so if you do, please let me know how you got on and what you thought. Please like, share and subscribe.
Post a Comment