Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 30th of August 2022
I was looking for something different and stumbled across a Polish dish for cabbage rolls. On further investigation, I noticed how I could make it vegan. I remembered using lentils in the stuffing instead of mince beef, but it needed something else. As I tested the stuffing out, I realised I could make it extra special by adding some Goan spice to the mix, which i did and it was good!
- If you are worried about nutrition, you can add some nooch (nutritional yeast with B12).
- It helps to think about the timing in this recipe. The lentils and rice can be cooked together in the same saucepan at the start of preparation.
- If the cabbage leave has a very big steamy bit, you can shave some of it of with a knife to help with its flexibility. It is best to do this after boiling.
- Don't over fill the parcels or it will be difficult to roll them up.
- Cabbage leaves (3 per person)
- Red lentils 1/4 cup
- Brown rice, 2 tbsp
- Mushroom 2 medium, finely chopped
- Carrot, finely chopped, 30g
- Parsnip finely chopped, 30g
- Onion, finely chopped, 30g
- Goan spice powder x 1/2 tsp
- Sugar, 1/8 tsp
- Salt, a pinch
- White pepper, 1/8 tsp
For the sauce
- Chopped tomatoes (Either a tin or fresh)
- Chopped onion, 20g
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp
- Cider vinegar, 2 tbsp
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- Salt, pinch
- Black pepper ground, 1/4 tsp
Step 1 - Create the stuffing
- Boil the lentils and brown rice.
- Finely chop the carrot, parsnip, onion, mushroom and mix in a small to medium bowl.
- Start to boil some water for the cabbage leaves but don't put the cabbage leaves in yet.
- Add the Goan spice, white pepper, olive oil, salt and sugar. Git a good mix with a wooden spoon.
|Stuffing for the cabbage|
Step 3 - Make the sauce
- Poor the tomatoes into a bowl.
- Chop the onion and garlic then add them to the bowl.
- Add the oil and cider vinegar to the mix.
- Give it a good stir and set aside.
Step 3 - Stuff, cover and bake
- Boil the cabbage leaves for 30 seconds to a minute just to soften the leaves.
- Spoon some of the stuffing onto each leave and roll it up.
- Place in a suitable dish and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelve at 200C.
|Boil the leaves to soften them|
|Wrap the stuffing in the leaves|
|Cabbage rolls in tomato sauce |
I really hope that you liked this blog. Please like, share and subscribe.