Written by McDonald, T. | Date 9th of August 2021
I love bread! These rolls are quick and easy to prepare and the rest of the time is just waiting. If you want a no fuss bared, this is it!
Makes 4 large, 6 medium or 8 small crusty rolls.
Short term waste: Long term waste:
- Flour packaging
- Yeast packaging
- Salt container
- Sugar package
- 1.5 cup of self raising flour (195g)
- 1.5 cups rye flour (195g)
- 2g of instant yeast
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of caster sugar
- 310ml (1.25 cups) of warm water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Add the warm water a bit at a time and stir until you get a very sticky dough, see figures 1 and 2.
- Cover and leave for a minimum of 3 hours (i leave mine overnight on the counter in the kitchen).
|Figure 1, make a well and poo in water.|
|Figure 2, mix until you get a sticky grey dough.|
- The dough should be puffed up and bubbly, see figure 3
- Use a spatula to gentle scrape out the dough onto a work board. I use a large chopping board that is well floured.
- Add more flour on top of the dough. Use a dough scraper to fold and shape the dough because the dough will be very sticky and you will not be able to use your hands. Get the scraper right underneath the dough and fold it over on its self. Do this about 14 times shaping the dough as you go so you end up with a large ball.
- Cut the dough into 4, 6 or 8 pieces and gently shape them into a roll, see figure 4.
- Heat the oven to 220C. The oven should be very hot, which will likely take 25 -30 minutes to heat up to the correct temperature. Use an oven thermometer if you want.
- Grease a baking try with some vegan butter and put the dough balls on it. Leave the dough balls on the counter covered with a tea towel until the oven is hot enough.
|Figure 3, dough in the morning.|
|Figure 4, shape into dough balls. |
|Figure 5, dough balls on greased baking try|
- Once the oven is hot enough, put the dough balls in the oven on the middle shelve for about 18 minutes. The dough ball should have expanded just a little see figure 6.
- Take the rolls out of the oven and place on a cooling rack see figure 7.
|Figure 6, dough rolls ready for the oven|
|Figure 7, rolls fresh from the oven.|
|Rolls with vegan butter.|
I hope you decide to give this recipe a try. Please like, share and subscribe.
Post a Comment