Make Your Own Vegan Sausages
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 1st of November 2021
I got this recipe from The Vegan Society magazine called The Vegan. If you are someone that does not like the texture of meat, this could be for you. I made some alterations to suit my needs.
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 4 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp yeast extract
- 120 g mushrooms, chopped
- 400 g can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 50 g oats
- 0.25 cup of plain flour
- 2 tsp fresh sage
- 3 apple slices, finely chopped
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast with B12
- 1.5 tsp of salt
- Frying pan
- Add all the ingredients with the exception of 2 tbsp of oil to a bowl and mix.
- Put a little at a time of the mixture into the blender.
- Pulse until you have a smooth, meaty mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 8 sausages with a little flour if needed.
|Shape into sausages |
- Add the oil to a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the sausages for 10 minutes, turning regularly to cook evenly.
Things didn't turn out the way i hoped and i had to make alterations to fix the problem.
First, the ingredients wouldn't blend together. I solved this by removing everything from the blender and spooning in smaller amounts, which solved the problem.
|Putting everything in the blender was not the best idea |
Second, I found the mixture was far to runny and i had to add another cup of plain flour and 0.5 a cup of oats. After mixing this all together in a bowl, which was hard work, i was able to shape the mixture into sausages and burger shapes.
I used a dough scraper cut the meat and then shaped it with some flour to stop it from sticking to the board.
|Use a dough scraper and then shape with hands|
I made 7 sausages and 1 burger.
|Shaped sausages |
|One shaped into a burger|
|The burger cooked and in a bread roll|
I put some in the fridge and some in the freezer to see how well they froze. They seemed to freeze OK
I hope you decide to give this a try. If you do, please let me know how
it turned out in the comments or on twitter. Please like, share with
your friends and subscribe.