Vegan Honey And Mustard Chickenless
This is my veganised take on the classic dish Honey and Mustard Chicken. The sauce is sweet and mustardy with tender pieces of tofu in place of the chicken. The honey can be replaced by any number of sweetness such as maple syrup, pineapple juice or brown sugar. It is possible to use any veg that you like in place of the ones i have used. The tofu, mushroom and mustard sauce are the main ingredients.
- Tofu 200g
- Onion x 0.5 medium sized
- Garlic x 3 gloves
- Broccoli x 60g
- Cabbage x 60g
- Carrots x 1 medium sized
- Parsnips x 1 small
- Courgette x 80g
- Mushrooms x 4 or 5 medium sized
- Mustard powder x 1 heaped tsp
- English Mustard x 1 heaped tsp
- Brown sugar or pineapple juice to taste
- Apple cider vinegar x 2 tbsp
- Water x 0.5 cup
- Prepare the tofu.
- Cut the veg into bite size pieces.
- Boil the veg just enough to part soften it.
- Fry the tofu, veg, onion and garlic in a saucepan in a little oil.
- Put the veg in the frying pan with the tofu.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and add to the frying pan.
- Cover and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Serve with potato, rice or pasta.
Beautiful sweet mustard sauce with tender pieces of tofu and veg. I love every mouthful of this. If needed, i found it is OK to use some gram flour or cornstarch to thicken the sauce to get the desired viscosity. I served mine with new potatoes, which worked really well. As ever, preparing the tofu correctly was key to the dish.
I hope you decide to give this a try. If you do, please let me know what
you thought in the comments or on twitter. Please like, share with
your friends and subscribe.