Vegan Bread You Don't Need to Knead!
Written by McDonald, T. | Updated 5th of August 2021
I have been looking for ways to make bread and this is one of the easiest I could find. No need for kneading makes it so easy all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together and leave it overnight before baking it the next day. This recipe has some extras in so if you want to make it closer to zero waste, just leave out the optionals.
|Dough for the olive and bell pepper version|
Short term waste:
- Flour packaging
- Yeast packaging
- 2 Glass jars (optional)
- Sugar packaging
- Salt container
|Mix the dry ingredients together.|
|After 12 hours, put into a big pot.|
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. A box with a lid is better than a bowl if you have it.
- Cover the bowl and leave to rise for at least 12 hours overnight.
- In the morning, you will see it has risen. Use a spatula to scrap out the sticky dough.
- Shape, using some flour and a dough scraper, then put into a big pot with a lid. Leave to rest for 30 - 60 minutes. This allows the dough to rise again. If you think it needs it, leave it a bit longer so it increases in size. Sometimes, depending on the weather conditions, the dough might need anywhere between 30 - 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for about 15 -20 minutes or until it reaches 220C. Make sure the oven is very hot before baking the bread.
- Put the pot with the lid on in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to bake for another 12 - 15 minutes depending on how crusty you want it.
A warm slightly crusty bread that is tasty on every level. The wholemeal flour is slightly light than the rye bread, but all are great. This took little work, yet yielded amazing results!
|The olive bread. This one has red bell pepper instead of sun-dried tomatoes|