Cherry Crumble Squares
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 28th of June 2021
While visiting my Mum, she told me about some vegan recipes that she knew about so i wrote them down and now i am sharing one of those little wonders with you. This is a lovely little treat that is simple and fun at dinner parties or festivals. If you like vegan food, why not subscribe to this blog? This is lovely desert with great texture and is filling.
- Oat container unless you can get them from a zero waste shop.
- Vegan butter wrapper.
- Flour bag.
- Golden syrup tin.
- Almond butter jar.
- Cornflour packet.
Get fresh cherries from the market and freeze them yourself. This will make them zero waste. If you can get almonds from a zero waste shop, why not try making your own almond butter? Choose a vegan butter that is not in a plastic tub.
6 Large slices
- 250g of defrosted and drained frozen cherries
- 100g of oats
- 150g of plain flour
- 2 tbsp of golden syrup
- 2 tbsp of almond butter
- 75g of vegan butter
- 1 tsp of cornflour
- 0.25 of lemon juiced
- Pinch of salt
- Defrost the cherries.
- Blend the oats to a flour like powder then add to a mixing bowl with the plain flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
|Oats blended to flour|
- Melt, over a medium heat, the golden syrup, almond butter and vegan butter in saucepan. Mix until completely combined.
- Poor the mixture into the bowl with the flour and add the salt.
- Mix together with a wooden spoon until it looks crumbly.
|Butter, almond butter and golden syrup|
|crumbly dough mixture|
- Grease a 15cm x 15cm pan.
- Press 3/4 of the crumble into the tin. The other 1/4 you will need in a minute. The dough should be about 1 cm thick.
- Mix the defrosted cherries with the lemon juice and cornflour.
- Spread the mixture over the crumble base. Don't worry if the cherry mixture doesn't completely cover the base; just as long as it is evenly spread a few gaps is OK.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the cherries.
|Crumble dough base|
|Cherry and lemon mixture|
|Cherry Crumble ready for the oven|
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180C in the preheated oven or until the crumble top is lightly golden.
- Leave to cool before slicing into squares.
Output is a great slightly chewy crumble with great flavour, texture and just the right amount of moister. This would be nice with vegan ice cream or vegan cream or even vegan custard. The cherries were plump and juicy and the whole thing had a perfect sweetness to it without being overpowering. Fantastic desert
|Cherry Crumble Squares fresh from the oven|
I hope you decide to give this a try. If you do, please let me know how it turned out in the comments or on twitter. Please like, share with your friends and subscribe.