Banana Oat Cakes
This is a very easy recipe that is tasty and quick. It is very versatile with the banana and oats being the main ingredients with every thing else adaptable. Not only that, you can have them for breakfast or just as a snack. The first time around i underestimated the sugar and salt, but with some practice these were easy to conquer. Once cooled down, it is possible to store them in an air tight container in the fridge of up to 3 days.
Why are oats good for us?
- Oats are great at keeping us feel full because they have both insoluble and soluble fibre.
- Oats are good for digestive health.
- Oats are associated with good heart health.
- Banana x 2
- Rolled oats x 1.5 cups
- Apple sauces x 1 tsp
- Sultanas x 2 tbsp
- Cranberries x 1 tbsp
- Pecan nuts x 8-10 nuts
- Ground almonds x 1 tbsp
- Mixed spice x 1/2 tsp
- Sugar x 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- Muffin tin
- Mixing bowl
- Peel the bananas and break them up in a bowl and mash a little with the fork.
- Break the pecans into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Add all the other ingredients and keep mashing.
- Once completely mixed and mashed you should have a nice gooey mixture. At this point, you can decide if you need to add more oats if the mixture, but you should be fine.
Once finished mashing, put the mixture in the fridge to allow the oat to absorb some of the moister. About 1 - 2 hours is fine, but if you are in a hurry, 20 minutes will do.
Grease the muffin tin wells with some vegan butter and spoon the mixture into a muffin tin. Try to share they out evenly. My one on the end looks a little short, but it should be fine.
Banana Oat cakes in greased muffin tin
Banana Oat Cakes ready for the oven
Bake in the oven for about 12 - 15 minutes or until they are set. They should have started to go a golden colour on top.
|Fresh for the oven|
|Banana Oat Cakes with golden syrup |
Each cake is approximately
- 166 kcal,
- 31g of carbohydrate,
- 4g fibre,
- 1.3g iron.
I really hope that you try this out and please let me know if you did and how they turned out. Did you change the recipe? If so, what did you do?
I hope you enjoyed this blog. Please subscribe, like and share with your friends.