Vegan Onion Sauce
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 31st of March 2021
If you need a sauce to spruce up your dinner whether it is a cauliflower steak, a mock meat steak or just to go on some veg, this is a great choice. It is easy to make and very versatile too.
- Plain white flour x 1 or 2 tbsp depending on desired viscountcy
- Vegan milk x 50ml
- Mustard powder x 1/2 tsp
- Garlic granules x 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Vegan sweeter (optional)
- Cut the onion up and place in a blender. Pulse until the onion is just starting to turn into a paste, but still has biggish chunks. Scrape into a saucepan with some oil and fry until the onion starts to caramelise.
- Add the garlic granules and mustard powder. Keep stirring.
- Add the vegetable stock and then the milk. Keep stirring.
- Add the vegan sweetener, which could be brown sugar or pineapple juice or maple syrup or whatever you like. (Optional)
- Sieve in the flour and stir using a whisk.
- Add the salt and white pepper to taste.
- Keep stirring until until you reach the desired viscosity. If it is to runny, add more flour. If it is to thick add more vegan milk.
You should have a lovely white sauce that is pourable without being to runny. Enjoy!
Remember that being a vegan is not just about food we need more people to try the lifestyle out, so please share. like and subscribe to my blog.