Vegan Easter or Passover Dinner
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 19th of March 2021
Whether you are celebrating Passover or Easter, this is the vegan dinner you where looking for! It's a typical dinner around Easter that i have veganized for us vegans. It's also fine for your passover feast too, but it is not the Seder meal. Easter and Passover have many connections since the Last Supper was the Passover meal that Jesus and His disciples ate together. For Christians, the last supper is where the Eucharist and the breaking of bread comes from and was the occasion Jesus had passover with His disciples (Luke 22:7-13). Jesus said: '...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.' (John 6:53). Since the passover story has a lamb sacrificed at the temple at night, this dinner would usually have roast lamb. Since lamb is out of the question for vegans, i had to come up with something else. I have tried a variety of mock meats with some better than others; however, most of them were either chickeny or sausagey. Nonetheless, i found the Beyond meat sausages to have a great taste and go well with mint sauce. It is still not lamby, but it did make for a good choice. When examining the nutritional value of the meal, although it was high in protein from the Beyond meat, i noticed it was lacking in iron and calcium. For this reason, I halved the Beyond meat and added Tofu, which solved the problem. This resulted in a fantastically tasty dinner with great nutritional value. Obviously, you can make adjustments depending on you nutritional needs for the day. For instance, i had Matzo Ball soup for lunch, which had carrot in it; hence, no need to worry about vitamin A for this meal. If you have not covered this vitamin in you lunch, however, it would be advisable to add carrot to this dinner, perhaps pomegranate carrots.
Time 40 minutes
- Potato x 400g
- Beyond meat cut into chunks or slices x 1 link
- Tofu marinated in your favourite marinade x 110g
- Shallot sliced x 2
- Mint sauce x 2 tsp
- Brussels sprouts halved x 180g
- Garlic x 2 gloves chopped
- vegetable stock x 200ml
- Nutritional yeast x 2 tsp
- Part boil the potato and drain.
- Put the potato in a dish and roast for 20 mins. You can add optional spices to the potato like paprika if you want.
- Fry the Beyond meat pieces lightly in some rapeseed oil just to give it some colour then leave it to the side while the potato roast for a bit.
- Add the marinaded tofu to the potato dish and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the Beyond meat piece in the roasting dish with the potato.
- Add the mint to the gravy then add it to the dish with the potato, tofu and Beyond meat and roast for another 20 mins.
- Put the Brussels in a oven dish and coat with oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Fry the onion in the same pan you used to fry the beyond meat to absorb more flavours.
- Poor the fried onion over the roasted Brussels on the dinner plate with the roast potatoes, tofu and Beyond meat pieces.
- Add some more mint sauce and some tomato for colour if you want.
Please like, share and subscribe.
Post a Comment