Vegan Pancakes For Shrove Tuesday
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 17th of February 2022
Pancake day is almost here, yay! But now you are a vegan and you want to know how to make vegan pancakes. Well, it is very straight forward and easy and I have two classic recipes for you depending on if you like your pancakes thin with lemon or fat with fruit. Before we get started, what is Pancake day and why is it called Shrove Tuesday?
This is the day before Ash Wednesday, is in preparation for Lent and the subsequent fasting. For some this period of fasting will mean simple eating with no meat, fat, sugar, dairy, eggs, or some luxury. Shrove Tuesday is about repenting of sins before starting lent. Notably, people would make pancakes as a way to use up any eggs, milk, and sugar that they had in the house before the solemn season of Lent. However, since we are vegan, we don't have dairy anyway. Nevertheless, giving up dairy alternatives would be a great thing to do during Lent.
Thin with lemon (English)
Makes 3–4 pancakes
- Plain flour x 80g
- Vegan milk x 250ml
- Salt x pinch
- Oil x 1/2 tsp
- Vegan butter for frying x 40g
- Lemon juice from lemons x 1 or 2
- Add the flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Pour in the vegan milk a little at a time until you get a smooth batter that is not to think.
- Mix in the oil
- Heat the vegan butter in a frying pan. Once hot, add a thin layer of the batter to the frying pan.
- As it starts to firm up, keep checking the underside. Once golden on the underside, flip it over.
Serve with the lemon and sugar on top.
Fat with fruit
Makes 4 pancakes
- Self raising flour x75g
- Backing powder x 1/4 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
- Vegan milk x 100ml
- Salt x pinch
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Pour in the vegan milk a little at a time until you get a smooth, thick batter.
- Add batter into a frying pan, making small round disks about 10 cm in diameter.
- Cook for 3-4 mins until they start to set and go a golden brawn. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another 2-3 mins until golden and cooked. There should be no stodgy bits in the centre.
Serve with fruit and maple syrup.
Please like, share and subscribe!