Vegan Peppercorn Steak And Chips
By McDonald, T. | Last updated: 15 of May 2021
Why not try this classic English dish with a vegan twist. An outstanding steak made from a thick slice of cauliflower with a peppercorn, paprika and oil coating drenched in a creamy vegan peppercorn sauce.
What you will need
For the steak:
- 1 tbsp ground black peppercorn.
- 1 tsp Paprika.
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric.
- Olive oil.
- A fresh whole lime.
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar.
- Garlic paste.
For the sauce:
- Cracked black peppercorns.
- 1/4 Red onion per person.
- 100ml of Vegan milk alternative.
- 2 x tbsp of Vegan double cream alternative.
- 50ml of Vegetable stock.
- 1 tbsp of Plain white flower.
- Vegan onion rings.
How to make the steak.
- Take all of the leaves off the cauliflower and leave the stalk on since this will make it easier to cut out the steak.
- Cut a steak about 2cm thick from the centre of the cauliflower. You should get 2 -3 steaks from 1 cauliflower.
- Trim the stalk, but only a little off the end.
- Place in a baking tray.
- Zest the lime and add the zest to the steak. Cut the lime in half and squeeze juice over the steak. Cut the lime into quarters and add all pieces to the baking dish.
- add the olive oil, seasoning and balsamic vinegar to both sides of the steak.
- Cut the tomato in half and add to the baking dish.
|Cut a 2 cm thick steak from the centre.|
|Season the steak.|
|Add the lime juice, zest and tomato.|
Cover the baking dish and leave to marinade in the fridge. While it is marinading, soak the mushrooms in some salt water. When ready, add some garlic paste and oil to each of the mushrooms before putting them in the oven. They will need to go in 10 minutes after you put the steak in.
The steak will take about 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 degrees. When the steak comes out, it should look like this. (The white bits are just some garlic paste).
How to make the peppercorn sauce.
- Sauté the chopped onion with the cracked peppercorn in a frying pan with some olive oil.
- Blend in a blender with vegetable stock. You are not going to need a lot of stock, so don't over do it you can always add in more if you need to. Add the resulting mixture, which should be like a paste, to a saucepan.
- Heat and stir in the vegan milk and vegan cream with a whisk.
- Add some plain white flower to thicken. Add just a little at a time and keep stirring until you reach a satisfactory viscosity for the sauce.
Pure over the steak and serve with chips, peas and vegan onion rings for a fantastic meal.
Please let me know if you tried this and tell me either in the comments or on social media what you thought because I love it when you do that. Please like, share and subscribe.
Post a Comment