Banana Peel And Black Bean Burger
By McDonald, T. | Date 28th of December 2020
- 1 Banana peel.
- 30g of red onion.
- 30g of black beans.
- 1 small mushroom chopped.
- 1/2 tsp of Soya sauce.
- 1/2 tsp of Balsamic vinegar.
- 1 clove of garlic chopped.
- Salt and black pepper.
- 1 tsp of nutritional yeast with B12.
- 1 tsp of ground flax seed.
- 1 tsp of paprika.
- Plain flower.
- Soak the black beans over night then boil in just water for 30 minutes.
- Cut the ends off the banana peel and scrape out the soft white part from inside the peel and either discard, eat or use in something else, but you will not need it in this recipe or it will make the patty taste like banana. Chop the banana peel into very small pieces. Finely chop the red onion and mix with the chopped banana peel and other ingredients except the flax seed, water and plain flower.
- Mash everything together and leave in the fridge to marinade for 1 hr.
- Fry in olive oil until the onion starts to caramelise.
- Put back into a bowl.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water and add to the bowl with the bits you just fried.
- Mix together and add flower as needed until you have a sticky mixture that holds its shape. I put a tablespoon of flower in at a time until i get the right consistency.
- Make a patty and add to a frying pan with hot oil. Fry on both sides for about 8 minutes and cover to stop the spitting.
Is the flax seed important?
In short, yes. The flax seed is what vegans use instead of egg to bind thinks together. You can get flax seed and grind it down yourself or just buy the ground flax seed. Flax seed also adds to the roughage.
- The Paprika in this burger adds vitamin C and Iron
- The Nutritional Yeast with B12 adds a whole bunch of B vitamins
- You can swap the black beans for more veg, but it will reduce the protein levels of the end product.
If you don't like to much onion, half the amount of onion and add something like sweetcorn or bell pepper or even more mushroom.
If you have it, you can mix a small amount of marmite to the mix to boost the flavour and add more B vitamins, but be careful since it is easy to put too much in. I usually mix a small amount of marmite with some hot water, which then makes it easier to use in this recipe.
If you want more iron, use ground turmeric instead of ground paprika.
Hope you liked this blog and if you feel inspired, please let me
know what you made. Please like and subscribe for more vegan recipes.
Post a Comment