Sweet Vegan Couscous
By McDonald, T. | Date 15th of August 2020
Very easy and light dish that will fill you up. Good on its own or as a side dish. I like to have mine with avocado and sourdough. 100% vegan.
- 1/2 a cup of couscous
- 1/8 a cup of peas
- 1/8 a cup of Sweetcorn
- 1/8 a cup of Runner beans cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of soya sauce
- 1 cup of water with 1/4 tsp of salt to make the brine
- 100ml of Vegetable stock
- 2.5 cm of cucumber sliced.
- Container with a lid
- Wooden spoon
- Soak the couscous overnight in the brine.
- Add all the ingredients into the saucepan including the soaked couscous and heat on a low heat for about 15 minutes while stirring regularly. All the ingredients should be mixed evenly and the veg should cooked right through. The idea is to just have enough liquid to cook the vegetables. You can always add more water if needed. When finished, you should have no liquid.
- Break up any blocks of couscous with a folk and garnish with the cucumber.
Nutritional valueCouscous is high in carbohydrates and contains protein roughage and minerals.
5 a day
- All the vegetables combined come to around 1 portion (British Nutrition Foundation n.d.)
- 5 cm of cucumber is a portion (NHS 2018)
This total can be increased by adding half and avocado and a glass of fruit juice.
New total = 4 of 5 a day.
ReferencesNHS Live well (2018) '5 A Day portion sizes' [Online] Available at https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/5-a-day-portion-sizes/ (accessed on 6/8/20)
British Nutrition Foundation (n.d.) 'Fruit And Vegetables' [Online] Available at https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthydiet/fruit-and-vegetables.html?start=2 (accessed on 6/8/20)