Vegan Bread Roll Recipe
Written by McDonald, T. | Date 9th of April 2021
One way of cutting out the single use plastic is to make your own rolls. Baking is fun and easy, but you will need to practice it to get the best results. Another advantage to home baking is you control the ingredients. Wholemeal is better for us because it has more nutrients and roughage.
Makes 4 rolls
- Strong wholemeal bread flour x 1.5 cups
- Caster sugar x 1 tbsp
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- Instant fast acting yeast x 3.5g
- Vegan butter x 20g
- Soya milk x 1/4 cup
- Water x 1/4 cup
- Wash your hands
- Add the flour, salt and fast acting yeast to a medium to large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat the vegan milk and water in a saucepan the add the vegan butter and wait for it to melt. It is important not to let the milk boil.
- Make a well in the mixture and add the vegan milk and melted vegan butter. Be sure that the vegan milk and butter is not to hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Mix together with a spoon until you get a sticky lump. You can start to use your hands at this point.
- Add some plan flour to your work surface ready to knead the dough.
- Knead the dough for about 6 or 7 minutes or until it is smooth and elasticated.
- Leave to rise in the mixing bowl for 1.5 hours or till it has doubled in size.
Rolls read for the oven
|Shape the dough into a roll shape
- Gently punch and shape into a long roll.
- Now cut into 4 equal sized pieces and shape them into roll.
- Place them on a greased baking try.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again for another hour and a half.
- Put in a preheated oven at 190 C for 12 - 15 minutes.
- To give a golden colour add so vegan butter to the tops of the rolls and put back in the oven for another 3 -5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't over bake.
Once baked, stand on a cooling grill. You can leave them to cool completely or eat them while they are still warm. They will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
|Rolls cooling on the cooling grill
|Hot roll with vegan butter
I hope you like this blog. Please subscribe and share with your friends.